I’m an anxious person, I don’t remember a time in my life where I haven’t been. I stress about things before there are even things to stress about. This is seriously one of my biggest struggles but it’s also something I’ve been fervently praying about and working on. See, when we hold onto stress and create an anxious heart we aren’t putting all of our trust in God. Merriam-Webster has this definition for stress:
fear or nervousness about what might happen.
What might happen. Why do we get so worried about what might happen when we have zero control over the situation and the one who does has our best interest on His mind? For some reason, in today’s culture we think we have to be constantly in control of everything. But we forget we aren’t, God is. Sweet friend, we have got to learn how to fully put all of our trust in God and give up that fear that has manifested itself in the form of anxiety.
I know, easier said than done but here are 10 verses that help me overcome in times of stress.
- And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? Matthew 6:27 This is one of my favorites, it kind of puts it in perspective for me. Worrying is not going to add anymore time to my life. Worrying won’t even change the outcome of the situation, I can only control my emotions of the here and now.
- The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. Exodus 14:14 This is an amazing reminder, no matter what we do, we will not change the outcome. God doesn’t ask us to fight for ourselves, He only asks us to be still.
- Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down but a good word makes him glad. Proverbs 12:25 Have you ever noticed how when you’re stressed out about one thing it feels like you just keep getting hit with more? It’s because anxiety literally makes you heavy, it’s a burden we were never meant to carry. Having anxiety and stress in our hearts changes our perspective and makes it seem like the world’s a lot darker than it actually is.
- Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 Give it all to God. God knows your heart and mine, He just wants us to cry out to Him. When you truly give it all to Abba, He will guard your heart and give you a kind of peace that your anxious heart can only dream of.
- When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy. Psalm 94:19 Another sweet reminder of our Abba’s love. Even in the deepest pits of despair, God’s love is greater. Take heart in that.
- I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. Psalm 116:1-2 Lastly, God hears you. He always hears your cries to Him. Even when it seems He’s left you in the dark, He hasn’t. He is working on something far greater than you could ever understand in this moment.